Thursday, September 12, 2013

Chapter 15 Reflection

I did not know a lot about the Post-Civil war at all. I knew there was segregation after the civil war, that even though blacks were free, they were not equal.I didn't know how it became that way or why, but I was eager to learn. I didn't know anything on the Reconstruction of the South, and I didn't know the separate Amendments.  I have never really been into history so I never really cared that much about it. In our first section of study we have done a lot with comparing it to present day politics and events, so it has made learning it a lot more interesting. I think that's why it is important for people to learn about our nations history, because history repeats itself and if we don't know about the past there is no way we can learn from the mistakes that were made. In America people pride themselves on living in a place where everyone is free and I think it is beneficial to the people of America to know how that came to be and to be able to pride ourselves on being a strong country.

In this unit, a topic that really stood out to me was the Tim Crow Law's. I already knew the basics about segregation, for instance, where blacks could or could not sit, where they were allowed to be, and their rights. I didn't know a lot about the legal things about it and why it was excepted. Now I know how the "laws" came to be and how they enforced them. The literacy tests and Plessy verses F
Ferguson where how whites enforced the laws and how they were able to get around the 14th and 15th amendments. After learning about the Tim Crow Laws I understand the challenges had to face after slavery and the hard journey they have had to take to get to where they are now.


1 comment: