Thursday, October 17, 2013

Controversy in Fashion and Advertisement over Native American Representation


A current controversy in recent newspaper articles and news headlines is companies misrepresenting the Native American Culture. It is seen as being racist and it is a major issue that is being brought to people’s attention. Misrepresentation of Native American Culture in Fashion and in marketing ads is rude to their culture. There are symbols being used offensively, and marketing schemes that are pushing the limits of what the Native American community can stand. Now the Native American communities are finally starting to speak up and voice their problems with it. It is seen mostly in Fashion and in Ads for companies trying to get people’s attention and sell their products. They see this image of Native Americans as a way to boost the value of their items, and they don't the distastefulness of it.

Mostly seen in Fashion Native Americans are being offended by the misuse of symbols and patterns from their culture. Native American tribes such as the Navajo are very offended by recent fashion from Urban Outfitters and Victoria’s Secret. Urban Outfitters recently put out a flask with a Native American pattern on it and women’s underwear with patterns and symbols on it as well. Urban outfitters not only offended Native Americans with the scandalous apparel, but also Federal Trade Laws. Using the name Navajo implied that the company had a connection to the tribe, which is false. The misuse of the patterns and symbols of the Native Americans is very offensive. And in the last Victoria’s Secret Fashion show and model came out in Native American themed outfit with a big headdress to match. These companies were very publicly called out on the offensiveness of what they did, and they both apologized But what to take from this is people are not thinking about the sacredness of these symbols before they put them with something offensive to tribe such as a flask, or women’s underwear. It is safe to say that before they put any of their apparel out for the world to see they go through and make sure it is not offensive to any cultures, but somehow the Native American Culture is forgotten.

 The main problem is most people don’t see it as being racist. It’s not that they are trying to be racist, they just don’t know. With the advertisements the pictures aren’t doing anything for the Native Americans other than making this misrepresented image of them timeless. Native Americans are not just some objectified image that companies can use as a marketing scheme of the romanticized West, and that’s why they are staring to stand up for themselves. If you take a look at African American images in advertisement like the logo for Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix, the woman in the picture has been modernized to suit a present day representation of the culture. African Americans have altered in Ads to be racially sensitive but Native Americans have not. Why should the Native American representation in marketing be any different? African American pictures compared to Native American pictures show how people view them differently. Native Americans have been objectified and it is going to take a lot to change this image of them in peoples minds.
 














Aunt Jemima Picutre changed over time

Daily Nebraska News
This Website was useful because it gave me a lot of information on the issues that were in the news.
Winnebagos, Cherokees, Apaches...
This website was good because it went into depth on the more scholarly side of the issue I was researching. When I originally searched I only found news articles and this website gave me the more important information I needed.
Under-representation of Native Americans in the Mainstream Media This website gave me a first look at the marketing and advertising side of my topic. It gave me a lot of background information to expand on, and gave me a different angle to look at rather than just fashion.















Urbanoutfitters Native American Flask
















Victorias secret native american headdress
Culture and the Ad This source was helpful because it gave me a lot of examples of the Advertisement side of the issue instead of the fashion side that I was trying to get away from.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked how you specifically pointed out the incident with the Navajo because although I knew about Native American knock-offs, I didn't know that they would use a specific tribes' name in their marketing campaigns. I also liked how you compared the racism against the Native Americans to the African Americans to give perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a few grammar problems and I think a more analytic view could be used in certain areas. I recommend fixing the last sentence of the first paragraph to make it more grammatically stable: " and they don't the distastefulness of it.". I really like how you not only gave specific instances of companies misrepresenting Native American culture thorough products but you also gave photos of the products therefore strengthening your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did really good on your blog. I liked how you gave examples that are very recent in today's news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very interesting topic that I enjoyed reading about very much! You did a great job and your paragraphs were very detailed and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is well cited, especially with information from educated links and recent news. Other than the few grammatical that Blake mentioned, it was well written and well organized. I especially enjoyed the use of modern day examples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought that people to this day would be offended by things as simple as patterns, but it seems they can. Well organized information and I like the way that you compared the Native image to the African American image. There a few grammatical issues but other than that, great job.

    ReplyDelete